Thursday, February 12, 2015

Brownies

Who wants my special brownie recipe?(; No, not those kind. 

These brownies are special in that they're as healthy as they are delicious. That's right people; bikini approved brownies. Say what?! 
 
 
So I found myself with a mean hankering for some thick chewy chocolatey goodness the other night. I ate a nibble of some dark chocolate, but it just didn't cut it. I craved that warm gooey goodness of a brownie. In that moment, I realized I haven't had a brownie since I was pregnant. Insanity. Well, obviously typical brownies don't fit my healthy eating lifestyle; you know the one where I don't eat much sugar or junk food. So I decided to get experimental in the kitchen... 

Success! I made these fantastically delicious chocolate hunks chunks, using only healthy ingredients. I tested them out on several friends, including the pickiest or junkfoodiest (that's a word now) of eaters, and they gobbled them up. Don't let the odd sounding ingredients throw you off, give them a try and thank me later. 

Just in time for Valentine's, here is my Bikini Brownie recipe:
 
First, go put your bikini on, because you've discovered a yummy treat that'll make you look great in it. Then preheat your oven to 350* F. This quantity works best in an 8x8 Pyrex dish. I "grease" (I hate that word, because there's no greasy grossness here) the pan with a paper towel dabbed in coconut oil or grapeseed oil. A little goes a long way. (Healthy cooking sprays will work as well, just avoid vegetable oils or butter, or Heaven help you margarine.) Then add the following ingredients (except chocolate chunks) into a blender (I use a Vitamix), a food processor or hand mixer will work, just make sure it's blended really well. Then stir in the *optional chocolate chunks into your already blended batter before pouring into dish. ps. You can lick the utensils salmonella-worry-free, because there's no egg involved. Go. To. Town.
 
•1 (15oz) can of black beans (drain and rinse thoroughly 
•1/2 cup plain oats (no instant flavored sugary varieties) 
•1/3 cup of 100% pure maple syrup (that means maple syrup is the only ingredient; you defeat the purpose with sugary/hfc kinds) ((You can do honey or agave, but note it will change the flavor to that of those.))
•1/4 cup coconut or grapeseed oil 
•1/4 cup cacao powder (You guessed it; just cacao or 'cocao', no added sugar. This is not the same as hot cocoa mix)
•1/2 scoop protein powder (I use Muscle Milk 100% Whey Vanilla or Chocolate; yeah there's like 1.5g of sugar. Use your preferred.) 
•pinch of salt
•OPTIONAL: dark chocolate chunks/chips. (You can buy chips or just grate/break small chunks off of a bar. Be sure to get a kind that is at least 70% cacao for their to be health benefits and less sugar content. The first ingredient should be cacao, not sugar.)
 
Place the filled dish into oven and set timer for 15 minutes. Check on their progress by inserting a toothpick and pulling it out; if the batter is stuck goopy to the toothpick it needs more time, if it comes out clean, they're ready. Ovens obviously vary, as do moist/chewy preferences. Mine usually go for about 21 minutes, just enough to get those chewier corner pieces. Remove from oven (use an oven mit; I'm sad I have to say that.) and let cool for about ten minutes if you can resist temptation that long. 
 
And yes, making them into heart shapes makes them taste that much better. Goes great with a big glass of almond/coconut milk, complete with a heartsy straw. Add berries or drizzle with almond butter, whatever your healthy cravings desire.
 
Enjoy!
 
ps. PLEASE tell me how they turned out for you, or if you tried something different. Tag me on Instagram @blakeleyfitness with your masterpieces.

***UPDATE!!!***
I got a few questions regarding these brownies for kids; the recipe I provided is not one I'd share with my toddler, because I don't allow her to have protein powder. It's completely unnecessary at her age. It is completely fine to omit it in the kiddo's batch, they'll just be a bit more moist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment