Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Read it and eat it: HEALTHY & HOMEMADE Chipotle bowl

It's the middle of the week, my hubby is out of town, and I wanted something easy.
So, I present to you the homemade and much healthier "Chipotle Bowl"...
 
I generally have a ginormous Tupperware actually I don't think I've seen that brand since the nineties, it's probably Ziploc or something, anyway... full of prepared quinoa on hand to use in a bunch of different meals. It came in handy here, and I recommend doing the same; it can be used in so many ways.
Get yourself a bowl and layer as follows:
  • Cooked quinoa & squeeze half a lime all over it (this replaces the turns-into-sugar-carbs aka rice.)
  • Cooked black beans (I prepare mine on the stove with diced onion, jalapeño, Cholula, S&P, and cilantro)
  • Grilled chicken (Cook your chicken how you please, I already had some left over grilled, and just cut into slices.) PS. If we're trying to stay healthy; chicken is your best bet, I don't need to tell you red meat is much fattier.
  • Sautéed onion, bell pepper, squash, jalapeño, and mushroom (This honestly took the most work; to dice and sauté , but even then was still simpleton.)
  • Shredded greens (I used spinach, kale, and swiss chard... I like more nutrients than iceberg "typical taco salad lettuce" has to offer.)
  • Sliced tomato
  • And obviously, the best for last; GUACAHOLY, I mean guacamole. No, I think I do believe it to be a holy concoction. Everyone's got their own recipe for guac, but mine goes like this and mine's the best!(;
    1/2 avocado, 1/8 red onion, few sprigs of cilantro, 1 jalapeno, S&P, red pepper flake, and squeeze of lime; dice each ingredient then mash/stir with fork until it's evenly blended with a few good chunks.
AND VOILA! Easy-peasy, healthy and satisfying meal that can be customized to everyone's tastebuds. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment